- Juniors & College Home
- APTA Jr Nationals
- Beacon Hill
- Fox Meadow
- Indian Trail
- Jersey Shore
- Lake Bluff
- Long Island
- New Jersey
- Patterson 18s
- Hackensack Golf Club Junior Ranking Open
Who's Your Daddy?
April 24, 2013
The Essex Platform Tennis Club, Essex, Connecticut, hosted the 7th Annual Big Daddy Cup on April 5th. The Cup was originally a nationwide event with participation from all regions. It has turned into a competition between Region I and Region II. The "rivalry" between the regions brings out a wide variety of talent, from national champions, rising newcomers, has-beens, and never-weres. Each region is represented by five doubles teams, with a combined age of 95+ years.
After the morning round robin competition, Region I won led Region II, 13 points to 12. After a great lunch at Oliver's Taverne, the five head-to-head matches took place. Whichever region won three of the five afternoon matches would take home the Cup. Fittingly, it came down to the last match of the day, with Tony Ettinger (Big Daddy Cup founder) and Gordon Teglas versus Rob Coster (APTA President)and Brain Adinolf. In the end, Ettinger and Teglas won in two sets, bringing the Cup back to Region I.
Many thanks to all who helped to make this such a great event!
1. Scott Estes/Nathan LeFevre (Region I) def. Mike Cochrane/Steve Godiksen, 6-4, 4-6, 6-2
2. Dan McCormick/Matt Holmes (Region II) def. Mike Attkinson/Hank Whiting, 7-6, 6-4
3. Jeff Morneau/Ross Smith (Region II) def. Steve DeRose/Scott Gianetti , 6-1, 7-5
4. Ed Gartner/Paul Wishnoff (Region I) def. Peter Harvey/Russ Burgess, 6-2, 6-1
5. Tony Ettinger/Gordon Teglas (Region I) def. Rob Coster/Brian Adinolf, 6-4, 6-3